Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

Itchin' to be Stitchin'

With it being summertime and all, life tends to be a little busier than usual, which is good, but I'm really craving some sewing/quilting time. Every day that I walk by my sewing room and see my sewing machine sitting there all alone, I really want to leave everything else undone and just go sit and sew for hours. It's like my sewing machine calls out to me...it misses me too, I think. =) Most nights when I go to bed, no matter how tired I am or how late it is, there is always a part of me that says 'go sew; you can sew now!', but I know that I really need all the sleep I can get, so I reluctantly ignore that voice - no matter how badly I want to sew.

I really love to sew and quilt and I'm so glad I stumbled into this hobby about 7 years ago! I love that it gives me a creative outlet and lets me relax while sorting out the events of the day or just thinking about things that are going on in my life. It is also a great connection with people and keeps me in touch with old friends and neighbors. I love the satisfaction of knowing that I took some pieces of fabric and with a little creativity, stitching, and proper placement made a beautiful treasure.

I'm sure every quilter has their favorite quilts that they've done. Most of my quilts I've given away as gifts, but at my husband's request I'm starting to keep more and more of them. Probably my most favorite quilt that I've ever made was the one I made for my cute little niece, Mila (picture of quilt on left). The pattern is called Hugs 'n Kisses, for the X's and O's in the quilt blocks. The quilting on it is absolutely beautiful (I didn't do the quilting, only the piecing, backing, and binding - I sent it out to be quilted). I love the colors and the way it turned out, even without borders - it looks somewhat old-fashioned to me. I have mixed feelings about borders - I like them, but only when a quilt really needs it, and I don't think this quilt needed them.

Well, the weekend is coming up and I'm hoping to get in some well-deserved sewing/quilting time. I've got lots of quilts to finish! =)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that quilt! You are right, it doesnt' need boarders. Did you finish your pinwheel spin quilt?

AmyF Hackworth said...

This is one of my favorite quilts, too, Anna. I'm enamored with it. I think it's so sweet, simple, soft, lovely, perfect. I'm glad you're blogging!

Amy Hackworth