Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

Two Wolves, Free Rice, and the Olympics

Last Friday, I left work a little early since my husband's family was having family pictures taken. On the way home I was tuning through the radio stations and stopped on Dr. Laura. I listen to her every now and then...sometimes I agree with her...sometimes I don't. She told a story about two wolves and the story really made me think about myself. I'm not sure what her source was, but I searched the internet and found out that the story is a Cherokee parable. I found it on Pearls of Wisdom through sapphyr.net. According to that site, the author is unknown, but here is the parable:

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied, "The one you feed."

I want to feed the good wolf.


In searching the Internet, I also found a fun game to play! It's called Free Rice. It's a word guessing game and with every answer you get right, the sponsors donate 20 grains of rice to help feed thousands of hungry people around the world. So far, I've helped to provided 3,000 grains of rice (but I'll keep playing and get more), which doesn't sound like a lot, but if thousands of people play the game...then those grains of rice really start to add up! So, if you enjoy games, then play this one because not only are you having fun, but you're also helping to feed the world. So far the rice has helped people in places like Nepal, Myanmar, and many others. The game is free and if you want to play you can click here or on the link on the side bar.


Ok...so on to the Olympics! I love the Olympics! Since Friday night, I don't think my TV has left channel 5 (NBC)...it's pretty much all that I've done all weekend. I have worked on my yo-yo's though...that's a nice project to work on when you're sitting and watching TV. One of the coolest things I've seen so far in the Olympics was the men's 4x100 relay race last night....it was so incredible! Here is a link to the video in case you missed it, or just in case you want to be reminded of the awesomeness that is the men's relay team!

1 comments:

sewtakeahike said...

I've heard this "story" before too, and I'm with you Anna, lets feed the one that is full of the fruit of the spirit, not the other. I want the other to starve!