Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

End of the Season

Well, the mountain bike race season is over for Rick. He competed in his last race last night...here he is finishing.

This race was at Soldier Hollow. Half of the races were held at Sundance and the other half at Soldier Hollow. I like Sundance for the atmosphere, grass, and shade, but I like Soldier Hollow because you are able to watch more of the race. I'm glad Rick enjoys his new-found hobby...he's wondering what he's going to do during the winter when he can't ride because of the snow. I think he'll find something else to keep him busy and active. The weekly race series starts again in May...and that will be here before we know it.

My garden, however, has not seen the end of the season...it is producing like mad! We call it our 'garden on steroids'. We have two squash plants and two zucchini plants, each of which is about 3.5 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide (the picture doesn't do justice to just how big they are):

We also have beets, carrots, swiss chard, peppers, cucumbers, leeks, herbs, and LOTS of tomatoes. This is the first year we've grown the yellow pear tomatoes and we love them. Our tomato plants are very tall and full...in fact the one in the far left corner has grown so big that is has pulled down the tomato cage...when you stand it up the plant is almost as tall as our six-foot fence. I think our trick is that we compost our soil all year long...and when we plant at the beginning of the season we do a dose of Miracle Grow. I'm proud of myself this year because, with the exception of the carrots, beets, and swiss chard (which I started from seed when the ground was ready), and with the exception of the zuchinni, squash, cucumbers, and some of the herbs (which I purchased as starts from Home Depot), everything else I grew from seed indoors before the ground was ready...and everything survived and is so beautiful! (This picture doesn't do justice for size or depth either.)

There is something very satisfying about working in the dirt and growing a garden...it's nice to feel even the tiniest bit self-reliant...even if it's only that I don't have to buy as many vegetables when I grocery shop. I guess I'll have to get started on my canning and freezing so that I don't miss out on all of this garden goodness. =)

3 comments:

Prudy said...

Oh, your garden is making me so envious. It's so hard to grow in southern UT. At least I haven't figured it out yet.

Kimberly Wright said...

So, you just have to take it to the next level and go canning and freezing your garden goodies!! Man are you too perfect or what? I miss being your neighbor and benefiting from your sweetness! Oh, and by the way your garden looks beautiful as always! :)

Kristine said...

Wow, you're garden is so big! It is so nice not to have to buy that produce at the store, plus it tastes sooo much better. We just did squash and tomatoes, next year I think we'll venture to something new!