Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Did You Know?

One of my coworkers gave me this list of handy things (not sure where he got it from), but I thought I'd share them...some of them seem like really great ideas, but I haven't had a chance to try all of them yet.

* Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

* Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mold.

* For a brownie treat, make browines as directed. Melt Andes mints in double boiler and pour over warm brownies. Let set for a wonderful minty frosting.

* Expanding Frosting: When you buy a container of cake frosting from the story, whip it with your mixer for a few minutes. You can double it in size. You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same amount. You also eat less sugar and calories per serving.

* Newspaper Weeds Away: Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers, put layers around the plants, overlapping as you go, cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic, but they will not get through wet newspapers.

* No More Mosquitos: Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitos away. (This one I am definetely going to try - we live by the lake and have LOTS of mosquitos! I'll let you know how it works.)

* Reducing Static Cling: Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and...ta da...static is gone. (For me, personally, I rub lotion on my legs or even on my stockings, and that seems to get rid of the static too.)

* Measuring Cups: Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry the cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out. (I'm trying this the next time I make cookies)

* Foogy Windshield?: Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub with the eraser. Supposed to work better than a cloth.

* Reopening Envelope: If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Viola! It unseals easily. (If I'm giving money or a gift card, I always forget to put it in the envelope with the card before I seal it, so I'll have to try this the next time I do that and see if it works.)

* Get Rid of Ants: Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home', can't digest it so it kills them. It make take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed.

Like I said, I haven't tried these, but they sound like good ideas, so I think I'll give them a try. If you have tried some of them, please let me know how they worked, or if you have other great ideas I'd love to hear those too!

Thanks! Have a great day! =)

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey, there are certainly some tips here that I'll try. Especially the one about the bananas.

Christina said...

I'll try them all to see if they work. We have lots of ants in our backyard, so I hope that the cornmeal will help. Thanks!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Those are some awesome tips! I love the one about the eraser and the windshield. And the ants tip is great - we have tons of ant colonies in our yard and they're killing our grass!

Debbie said...

Hi Anna, Those are some awesome tips, I will have to try that with my bananas, I can never eat them fast enough and end up with some yukky ones.

I wanted to stop by and say Thank You for stopping by my Tea Party Celebration. Your blog is very pretty!

Love,
Debxx

Unknown said...

I'm DEFINITELY trying the aluminum foil wrapped around the cheese tip! I just threw out two large cuts of cheese this afternoon. They were definitely too old and moldy looking to eat!

Thanks for posting all the tips!

Sher

Sara said...

I will definately try the one about the bananas. For mosquitos you can also add a small pinch of garlic to whatever you are cooking. It doesn't even have to be enough to taste the garlic and it will keep away mosquitos. I do this about once a week in the summer - works every time!

Kristine said...

That weed one has my name written all over it! Thanks.